Monday 22 October 2018

SELWG 18 Report

Yesterday I went to my second show of the year by going to Crystal Palace Sports Centre and SELWG 2018. It seems that even at this time of year, the weather was very sunny and warm. Not a bad for an autumn day but it always seem to be so on SELWG day. With a few coppers from the war chest with my small list of things to buy, off I went.
I was hoping to be there by eleven but with heavy traffic I did not arrive until 11.20 am. The half hour drive took me an hour.
Once I had brought my ticket I looked around the concourse and small hall, which I always do at SELWG. There did not seem to be many people around as I made my way to the Bring & Buy tables. At this point you are usually being pushed around as it is always busy but not this year. There was a load of goodies here from books to models but nothing for me so I thought that I would come back to it later on in the day.
So off I went to the main hall. Here there seems to be a few more people but still room for you to see all the trade stands and what was on offer. But it was once I was half way round I suddenly realised that there we no trade stands selling 20mm HaT figures or much 20mm accessories for the battle table.  I am beginning to think that I am the only person still playing with 20mm wargames, as there were loads of 28mm stuff to no end. But just like last year there were a few traders tables still vacant and a couple of gaming tables.

So on to the games. The game that caught my eye was in the small hall from the Shepway Wargamers doing a demonstration game from The Lords of the Ring, “War in Middle Earth” in 28mm. As you can see from the pictures there were loads of figures in this game all well painted with a very good layout/table.




Next up was this lovely model from the Maidstone Wargames Society “Zeebrugge 1918”. The picture shows the ship H.M.S Vindictive landing a force of sailors and Royal Marines on the mole at Zeebrugge in 28mm.


There were also a lot of participation games this year and they all seemed to be very busy which is great for the hobby. For me the show was a little disappointing as I could not get my HaT French command figures, so the money has gone back into the war chest for Skirmish 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment