Sunday 9 June 2024

Broadside Games Show 2024

For my second wargame show of the year, yesterday it was another trip down the A2 to Gillingham, Kent for the Broadside Games Show run by the Milton Hundred Wargames Club.  

When I reached the Medway Park Sports Centre which only takes me about half an hour to get there, the car park was full as there was yet another college Sport’s day on plus a funrun day in the park next to the sports centre. I managed to find a parking spot which took me nearly 15 minutes to find one, and it was free to park. The venue was right at the back of the sports centre and it was easy to find your way there. I paid my £4 entry fee, which I must say is a really good deal, and entered the hall. This was around 11.40am and it seemed really busy.

The first thing for me was to look around the trade stands and there was plenty to offer buyers. After I could nto find any 20mm plastic soldiers on sale at Salute I found a stand that sold mostly plastic figures, called 1-72 Model Figures, so out came my short shopping list, but there were none of the Hat 1/72nd figures that I wanted. Oh well. After a quick walk around the trade stands, I visited the Posties Rejects with their Battle of “Croix-de-Bouquets, 1792”. A unknown battle between the revolutionary black slaves and the French. A interesting battle and the game was planed by Ray Rousell in which he made all of the terrain and painted all of the figures. Here are a couple of pictures of that game.


The Village


I found a little room with hot/cold drinks machines and a few tables to sit. So I had my lunch inside this year as it did not look all that good outside. Once finished I went back into the hall and started to look around at the tables layout. There were a hand full of demonstration games and a nice area where people were selling their second-hand goods. There were 18 wargaming tables on show, some really small and a couple of large games this year.  I went back to the Posties to see how the battle was going. It was nice to see and to talk to Ray, Big Lee and the rest of the group. They even had cake there made by Sparky. I had a time at the show even though I did not buy anything. Returned home about 3.30pm. If you have not been there, may be you should try it out next year. Here are some pictures of the other games.

"DORNIER DOWN"
The Shepway Wargamers


"PEGASUS BRIDGE"
The Retired Wargamers Reloaded Group


"A CROWN OF THORNS"
Deal Wargames Association


3 comments:

  1. Great post Steve, it was great go see you again and have a chat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray a very enjoyable day. Hope that the slaves won the second game? Cheers take care

      Delete